Pokémon Sword & Shield

For discussing aspects of Pokemon not related to VA, such as the games, TCG, anime, and manga.
AcryliCat UwU

Re: Pokémon Sword & Shield

Post by AcryliCat UwU »

Well I like to look at the game positively, tbh... I can't wait to play it. I pre-ordered it a couple weeks ago and now I'm just waiting for it to come out- I'm very excited. It is somewhat disappointing that it isn't so similar to other games, but I feel like they're trying to branch out and figure things out and I'm ok with that.

Though I do wish they just kept mega evolutions/Z-moves instead of adding yet another weird battle evolution thing... The Meowth is ridiculous. Charizard is overrated.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

To those of you who are buying this game regardless of any negative press:
How much is too much? Why do you let GameFreak get away with this lazy behavior? How much do they have to cut, before you stop buying this garbage?
Because in my eyes that's what it is right now. Garbage.

They use 9,5 GB for their game, where the Nintendo Switch has 16 or even 32 GB cards available, but still praise it as being a big game (which it obviously isn't). But when it comes to content, they say we don't have to expect it to be more than the average Pokémon game length. The post-game content is around two hours long, from what the leakers say, plus the Battle Tower. And that's it.

There's rumors that even Nintendo was caught off guard by GF's announcement to not implement all Pokémon. And I can understand why. Nintendo will have a hard time now, selling merch of Pokémon that none of the new players, who start their journey into the world of Pokémon with SwSh, know.

Only 40-45% of all the existing Pokémon are in the game. But we are expected to pay around 150% of the price of a normal Pokémon game for it. Sounds like a really good deal to me! /sarcasm

And those lazy ass excuses from GameFreak are nothing more than that. Lazy ass excuses. They have all the power to make a great game, but instead they chose to do the bare minimum for maximum profit. Just enough to get away with this.
Because all the hardcore fans will still buy it, because "it's Pokémon, I've always played it, I will still play it".
So yeah, as much as I hate GameFreak for their laziness, they probably won't change a thing in their politics and go on producing this low-quality games. And why? Because you hardcore fans chose to buy it anyway.
We can vote with our wallets. Because GameFreak won't listen to critics as they have clearly shown in this response to the fans' concerns. The only thing they will listen to is money. But if the new games are still making enough profit, nothing will change.
So, in all seriousness:
I want a great Pokémon game. And hopefully, you want one too. Is it really so hard to not spend 60$ on a garbage game that could've been much better in the first place? If you really need to play it, buy it second hand from someone. But please don't throw any more money at a lazy company that doesn't care for its customers.
At the moment this feels like the only way to tell them "We don't accept your laziness anymore."
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

Agreed. I will only buy it second hand.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

It depends on how you define a quality game and what you’re willing to pay for it. I bought games for 20€ (like Goose game, Switch), Concrete Genie (30€, PS4) just recently and while both are pretty short (like 3-5 hours depending on your playstyle), the price was good for that amount of time spent.

Pokémon, even when you don’t have postgame, you can clock in a few hours more than these Indie games - while Gamefreak added a few questionable things to appeal to kids, it’s still a decent RPG with little to no bugs, proper translation, decent graphics and a few hours of story to complete.

If you don’t feel it’s worth your 60€, that’s your choice. Everyone feels different about games. I think Nintendo and Gamefreak will get the message when the majority of people are unhappy with games and these speak with their wallet.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

https://youtu.be/QWGGtKgalDo
Now THESE are QoL changes I can get behind! Making the entry for competitive Pokémon easier is something I appreciate because I certainly don't want to farm or breed for a shiny for hours only to discover that it has the wrong nature.
Also egg moves can be transferred now. I like that a lot.
(Still doesn't save the games for me, but it's a step forward at least)
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

And bad (shady) news again:
https://nintendosoup.com/pokemon-co-rep ... -to-leaks/
They have never ever done this before. This isn't to stop the leaks. This is to stop people from cancelling their orders.
Without leaks we wouldn't even know that there are only 401 Pokémon in the game. That they are withholding the games from the press now only means that they don't want this info to spread before the games come out.
They really want to f*** with the customers.
https://youtu.be/FSIClLQIf_0
Skip to minute 8:00 for this topic.
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

To be honest, I don't really know what holding back review copies is supposed to accomplish, except to keep casual consumers from finding out details before buying, since most of the game has leaked already and continues to leak over at 4chan...

I'm curious to find out how Japanese fans are gonna react. As far as I know the extent of the dex cut hasn't been announced officially in Japan at all.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

Nintendo now offers refunds for the digital versions of the games. Something they don't do frivolously as you can see here:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nint ... 79023.html

But now:
https://www.ibtimes.com/nintendo-allowi ... rs-2862683
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

They issued one refund and the media blows it up. The article even stated, it’s one user only. It’s not the first time they refunded preorders, it’s mostly a case to case basis.. Why is everyone making such a big deal out of one refund? It’s not like people suddenly ask for refunds left and right - the discussion about refunding and canceling preorders is not a new one, especially in Europe.

I don’t even know why you still care so much, Kitsu. Let these games release next week and let the disaster happen.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

UkeSora wrote: November 9th, 2019, 8:47 pm I don’t even know why you still care so much, Kitsu. Let these games release next week and let the disaster happen.
I care, because I still like Pokémon. Even though the new games have a lot of things I dislike, I like a lot of the QoL changes. It doesn't get me to buy them at release, but probably at a later date, second hand. My hate doesn't go against the games in general, but against those at Game Freak who thought it was a good idea to execute all those ideas to push a release for the christmas sales, instead of waiting another year or two.
Animal Crossing was delayed because they said it needed more time, but we can't have that with Pokémon, can we? Because one game every year is necessary... ugh.
I'm still ranting because I fight until the release. And if I can convince more people to wait and not blindly buy the game, then it is worth it. 60-70$ is a lot of money for some people.
I always imagine myself, how disappointed I would've been if I bought the game at release and found out that there are only 40-45% of all Pokémon included in it. This is, why I won't keep silent about this. I want to spare others that may have not gotten the news this experience by telling them exactly what awaits them, without spoiling too much. Because Game Freak wants this info not to be spread.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

Animal crossing doesn’t have much merch or an anime.. I guess with Pokémon there is a lot to consider like the trading cards, anime and merch. I am sure these are a good reason the games cannot be pushed back an other year.. although I doubt an other year would be enough honestly.
All that balancing of stats and attacks and Pokémon sounds like a nightmare to me..
Digimon also has way less Digimon to tame in their games and they are still great (and you can’t even use most of them due their week forms). I think Pokémon can be good as well, even when you don’t have all your favourite Pokémon in the game.. it’s a change not many people might like, but on the other hand they might include other things which we might enjoy.

I am really curious what they intend to do with Pokémon Home though, I am sure lots of people still want to use their old Pokémon in an interesting way..
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

Datamine reveals more (and probably all) Pokémon: A good read for those who want a summary of what is wrong with the games, but hey, SPOILERS for the ending and gameplay!:
Glichu

Post by Glichu »

So... it's time to start.

I had luck to play some time in Pokemon Sword... and I was disappointed.

First of all Hop, it looks different but it is full copy of Hau from Alola, literally! Each movement and each face impression is Hau (
New pokemon. Till the last moment I had a hope that all that leaked mons are fake. Just look what they did to poor Sobble! I can't play with this starter if at lvl 35 it turns into what it should be... (

I thought that with such poor quantity of monsters they will do more quality pokemon, but they didn't. Again disappointment!

And finally they cut almost all pokemon that I could use in previous games!
Bye bye Pidgeot, Nidoking, Crobat, Primeape, Poliwrath, Golem, Magnezone, Electiwire, Scizor, Dragonite, Typhlosion, Amparos, Gliscor, Heracross, Donphan, Houndoom, Blaziken, Swampert, Salamance, metagross, Torterra, Infernape, Garchomp, Yanmega, Leavanny, GRENINJA, Talonflame, Lycanroc and all fossil pokemon.

I have only one question: WHY?
It should be the best game ever! But now I don't know should I play further or no. And whom to choose for my team...
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptable
General amount of hatched shinies: 122
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

Well it was available in one of the stores and people run to buy it. Five people were already crowding the worker who was repacking the games.

It was never intended as the “best game ever” but I vaguely remember them saying it’s a great RPG to the core fanbase.

Is it?
Glichu

Post by Glichu »

It was only my opinion on “best game ever”, but it's not.
Graphics is great, idea and plot I think fine too, can't say more as I was playing only around 30 minutes.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptable
General amount of hatched shinies: 122
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

PSA:
Format your SD cards to FAT or FAT32 if they aren't already. If they are in exFAT format, Pokémon Sword and Shield is likely to corrupt all your game data and you have to re-download everything. This isn't Pokémon's fault, though. The bug is in the Switch's exFAT driver but until now there hasn't been a lot of issues with it.

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/poke ... games-data
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

To everyone playing it, what are your thoughts?
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

So far I like it. I'm still not sure what to think about the whole dynamaxing-thing... and so far it feels a lot less challenging than previous games (not difficulty-wise but story-wise. Like ... I don't know ... it doesn't feel like you're saving the world or doing anything special XD More like just running around and having a good time. But maybe that'll change later on).
But I'm still having a lot of fun and enjoying it way more than I did with Sun/Moon. And like always I just wish there were a couple more new pokemon. At the beginning there were a lot but now they are getting a bit less frequent.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

An okay game. I’d recommend waiting for the next game, as this one feels really rushed and unpolished.

Actual story happened after you beat all gyms and elite four. You catch the cover legendary after the credits roll which felt a bit off. The other legendary you catch to beat the story doesn’t really have any background which was weird. It was just there all of a sudden because “bad guy summoned it and it doesn’t want to be tamed so oops?”. I felt bad for the poor thing.

Wild zone is annoying. Pokémon encounter rate depends on weather in game which depends on your actual time and date, so prepare to change your Switch Settings when you’re interested in a specific Pokémon.
You’re not allowed to catch most of the Pokémon anyway (the level you’re allowed to catch scales depending on the gym badges you obtain.)

This game feels like a game for casual players, good to pick up and play for some minutes..
There is no grinding required basically and the map always tells you where to go.

I am not really interested in the raid battles (I dislike stuff I can’t do in my own time), so there isn’t much else to do in the game now except filling the Dex and looking at the Battle Tower or catching Shinys although I don’t really feel motivated to do that. The design of most new Pokémon wasn’t that interesting to encourage shiny hunting.
Corgichu

Post by Corgichu »

I'm having fun with the game so far. Already started my Mesuda method for a shiny Eevee