Increase Chance/Frequency of Daycare Breeding (Read First-Post Edits)

You have an idea for site or have a suggestion to make it better? Post here.
Karasume

Increase Chance/Frequency of Daycare Breeding (Read First-Post Edits)

Post by Karasume »

To elaborate more on the title, can we increase the frequency of the breeding check from once every hour to once every 10 minutes? Maybe 15 or 20 minutes?

Breeding for shinies is such a daunting process, and it's not uncommon to go over a week without even one egg. You could breed one Pokemon and never get a shiny using the daycare because of how few eggs you can get. Rather than increase the chance of one laying, how about just increasing the frequency? Since daycare eggs can go over the 12-egg cap, it might be a problem if the chance were raised too high.

While I don't personally care about the daycare that much, it's a pretty core feature of any Pokemon game and frankly, I feel it's lacking here.

BETTER IDEA: Base the Daycare off of click activity (all credit to PokeTrade)
PokeTrade wrote:What about increasing the frequency depending on how much you've clicked the last 24 hours?

If you have +1000 clicks for example it's every 30 minutes instead of every hour
+2500 clicks = every 20 minutes
+5000 = every 10 minutes
EDIT 2: Increasing either the frequency or the chance serves the same purpose, and either way, it's suggested that we have a backlog of eggs in case an egg pops out and we aren't on the claim the first.

EDIT 3: For clarification, increasing the frequency of egg checks can be done without increasing the frequency of payment charges and daycare levelups.

EDIT 4: Due to concerns about keeping a ridiculously huge backlog over months of letting the daycare run, it may be preferable to have a backlog that will only hold enough eggs to last for a few days or a week. Opposition for a timed backlog is strong.

EDIT 5: Look, mom! I can count to 5!
Last edited by Karasume on September 18th, 2018, 5:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Looking to trade pokemon or net yourself some easy CE credits? Then check out my Trade thread!

There are a lot of shinies which look very similar to their normal counterparts. Arm yourself with knowledge!

AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
FairyPrincessCynthia

Re: Increase Frequency of Daycare Breeding

Post by FairyPrincessCynthia »

It's been nearly two weeks and I haven't gotten a single egg. I'm a bit suspicious that this goes beyond simple bad luck.

edit about 10 hours later
I've had a long day to think about this concept as a whole. What I'd be interested in is a shift in the daycare dynamic:
Dramatically increase the odds of daycare egg rates, but offset this by removing the 12 egg bypass. This way players will be forced to think about balance between adopting random eggs and hatching daycare eggs.
Spoiler for more adopts inside:
AdoptableAdoptable AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Praise be to fairy types.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I definitely wouldn't want the egg check to be more frequent. It's hard enough coming back from a couple day break and wondering when the egg showed up and how much money was wasted, but to have that every couple hours instead? No thanks ^^; I'm no stranger for consistently waiting a week for 1 egg, but I also have a lot of patience, so don't have a problem with the timing the way it is.

Right now, from what I've seen when VA didn't have anything new for a while, Regular Adopt Shinies were the *only* thing that had any value for trading that was available to newer-ish players. I assume that's only because the rates are the way they are, so all the older players continually breeding for years and years can't easily get all the shinies they want. To remove that difficulty would harm this.

However... I can definitely see the incredible frustration with breeding for a year and not getting a single shiny out of it. That's not great considering its exactly those kinda players that VA needs to stay interested.

I kinda like FairyPrincess' idea of not allowing the Daycare eggs to succeed the 12 egg limit, as it seems a decent trade. BUT that runs into a huge problem for those breeding for other people. Of which I have been doing since before November and am currently sitting on about 20 eggs waiting to be picked up by someone less active while breeding something else for another player. I wouldn't be able to do this if that change was made and it'd honestly ruin the value of the Daycare for me since it's how I'm able to get some of the rarer special dex adopts.

That said I dunno how many others would be bothered by such a change and I'd live with it ^^

Though, I'm still not really sure increasing any shiny chances is in any way a good idea -- unless it was a minor adjustment in response to the lower player rate. As mentioned Shinies are the one thing that retain long term value as something anyone can get whether you're a new or old member. I'd hate to see that value drop with increased shiny spawns. I know I say this a lot but I'm a broken record: they should be hard to get.

Honestly it seems like there are tons of shinies popping up when a good handful of people are active. If the 'Congrats' thread is anything to go by.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
Xiah
queen of old times

Post by Xiah »

For me this is a bad idea. If you're a working person, you can't look every 15 minutes on va to check, if an egg is breeded.
Also..yeah it takes long to breed a shiny, but this is, because you have to adopt the egg at the right time.
Stefanol once told, how an egg becomes shiny. The egg gets a special invisible number at the end of the normal eggnumber. So it's totally irrelevant if we can get an egg every 15 minutes than every hour, because if you don't have this invisible number on the egg, it wont' be a shiny.
Shiny breeding is really just luck... I got my first shiny Tyrunt with just 1 egg. And than I had to wait 140 eggs to get the next one.
Increasing the shiny luck should also stay a special thing on days, when new regions come out or on special vacations, like it used to be.
FairyPrincessCynthia

Well, the daycare egg thing could be remedied by creating a backlog for generated daycare eggs, so you wouldn't have to constantly check in. They would just be there when you get back and you could pick them up; however many are there.
Yasha

Post by Yasha »

I'm against an increase in the daycare check and higher shiny chances, all of my reasons already stated by users above (shiny value, time intense, costs more money etc).

Also, I use the Daycare for leveling Monthlies. And those shiny rates are determined by the level. Increasing the daycare check would increase the level you can gain during that time, resulting in more monthly shinys and a drop in value for those as well.

I quite like FairyPrincessCynthia's suggestion of an egg backlog. That way, you have a higher chance of getting multiple eggs for example during the night or while you are at work. A backlog of three eggs would be big enough, I think, and would also solve the issue of loosing money during the time frame you have an unclaimed egg in the Daycare.

[EDIT]
I'm breeding Fynx since January 2017 and have 140+ eggs, no shiny. At the beginning I was very short on money, so the daycare was only running when I was actually able to check hourly, so I would'nt loose too much. Yes, it's time and money consuming, but I like how hard it is to obtain such a specific shiny. I wouldn' change a thing :)
Want to trade? See my Trade Station or send me a PM.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I support the idea of an egg backlog. That would be quite lovely, and it wouldn't have to be that big.

I agree that 3 would be plenty with the current egg chance. It's not very often you get an egg one hour after the other, so in a 10 hour time span I couldn't see more than 3 ever sitting there waiting on a really good day. Wanna keep people checking back so having a small backlog would be ideal. Just enough that it isn't such a worry to check every hour when you're short on funds.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
Karasume

Post by Karasume »

Enforcing the 12 egg cap would never work with increased egg frequency unless there was a backlog anyways.

As for monthlies losing value due to the increased number of checks, that can be easily remedied on the admin side. Just change the threshold by which monthlies become shiny.

I wouldn't be worried about shinies losing value, either. Most shinies seem to come at random, from non-daycare eggs.

The idea is to make the daycare actually feel relevant. As it is now, it's lame, even when you're only using it to build a poke-army.
Looking to trade pokemon or net yourself some easy CE credits? Then check out my Trade thread!

There are a lot of shinies which look very similar to their normal counterparts. Arm yourself with knowledge!

Xiah
queen of old times

Post by Xiah »

I don't feel, that it is lame. So that's just your opinion.
For me, the function of the daycare is good, as it is now. Maybe in the original games you get an egg every minute(sometimes), but there you have to wait, till you have space in your party to adopt one.
So adopting every hour and getting a 13th or 14th slot for the egg and don't have to wait, is a good value to this.
Karasume

Post by Karasume »

Even considering a backlog of eggs could be added (in exchange for an enforced egg cap), you would still suggest we keep the same egg-laying frequency? Even if it's not uncommon to go several days without even one egg?

Why?

Xiah
queen of old times

Post by Xiah »

Why not?
I don't have a problem with this.
I like the fact, that the daycare on this click-site is more luckbased than just like the games. Sometimes you get 2 or more eggs a day and sometimes you have to wait. For me it's more likely, because the pokemon aren't chicken, that produce every day an egg. And yes, Pokemon is a game...but I don't think, that the egg-frequency there is good. I think, that the pokemon are often represented as breedingmachines, because after seconds there is a new egg and a new egg and so on.
Also I know an other site, where you just have 6 slots and really have to wait to adopt the other eggs. Sometimes you have 10 eggs in the daycare and loose eggs, because you can't adopt then in the given time of 24hours.
So for me it's good, that we don't have this system of storage eggs in the daycare and an enforced egg cap of 12.

Just my opinion.

And I mean, if we had this egg-cap. What would the players do, that don't hatch there eggs due the ce, but want to adopt their dc-eggs? The ones would have bad luck in my eyes, because they would have to wait, till one or more eggs are hatched to adopt the dc-eggs. That wouldn't be a good thing either and may disappoint some of them. I mean, not everyone is very active, that they have thousends of ce-credits. Some really just click their eggs a day and adopt dc-eggs.

As I said before. It's just my opinion. You find the daycare lame. I think it's a good alternative solution to the game-daycare.
You don't have to be on my site, but I don't change my thinking either. :) So don't be mad, if I don't like the thinking of enforced caps or more frequency.
Yasha

Post by Yasha »

Karasume wrote:As for monthlies losing value due to the increased number of checks, that can be easily remedied on the admin side. Just change the threshold by which monthlies become shiny.
I think that would be even more counterproductive, since not all users know about the option of levelling with the DC and not all users, especially new ones, have the money to keep it running that long. If we increase the threshhold, so that only the monthlies in DC reach the level to potentially become shiny, we would get LESS shinies. Instead of a decrease in value, we would get an increase in value. Such a threshold should be adjusted to the main leveling device (CE). The balancing would be off (see numbers below).

every 60 minutes for seven days: 168 level cost 8400$
every 20 minutes for seven days: 504 level cost 25,200$
every 15 minutes for seven days: 672 level cost 33,600$
Su-licious wrote:What would the players do, that don't hatch there eggs due the ce, but want to adopt their dc-eggs?
That would be me. I'm not a huge fan of the CE, so I avoid to use it for hatching eggs if possible. I don't mind that it takes longer to hatch them if I only click them daily, but waiting to hatch an egg to be able to adopt a DC egg would really bother me. I like how the system works right now :)
FairyPrincessCynthia

I'd rather have the odds of an egg appearing per check increase, not the actual check rate.
Karasume

Post by Karasume »

So it's not the idea y'all are against, just the concept of an egg cap.

Well, if the check happened 5x more often, that still wouldn't yield enough eggs to cause the more inactive users to be overwhelmed by eggs over the period of a day.
FairyPrincessCynthia wrote:I'd rather have the odds of an egg appearing per check increase, not the actual check rate.
I figured checking for an egg every hour and seeing one egg is far less satisfying than checking every hour and seeing 1-3, depending on how many goats you sacrificed to RNGesus.

EDIT:
Yasha wrote: I think that would be even more counterproductive, since not all users know about the option of levelling with the DC and not all users, especially new ones, have the money to keep it running that long. If we increase the threshhold, so that only the monthlies in DC reach the level to potentially become shiny, we would get LESS shinies. Instead of a decrease in value, we would get an increase in value. Such a threshold should be adjusted to the main leveling device (CE). The balancing would be off (see numbers below).
Then levels could still just apply every hour, while egg checks be more frequent.

PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Post by PokeTrade »

What about increasing the frequency depending on how much you've clicked the last 24 hours?

If you have +1000 clicks for example it's every 30 minutes instead of every hour
+5000 = every 10 minutes
My collections:
ImageImageImage
Karasume

Post by Karasume »

PokeTrade wrote:What about increasing the frequency depending on how much you've clicked the last 24 hours?

+5000 = every 10 minutes
Basing daycare on click activity?
That's pretty next-level. I like it.

FairyPrincessCynthia

+5000 = every 10 minutes
This is an idea I can get behind 100%. I won't just say that arbitrarily. This is actually a high quality design model
You know when you don't know you want a thing until you find out about it? This is that thing.
49ER

Post by 49ER »

I don't mind increasing frequency you can check for egg but I would not want to pay 50 dollars per time slot. That would get very pricey very quickly. We already pay 1200 dollars a day as it is.
Adoptable
Yasha

Post by Yasha »

I think it would be self-sustaining, because you get the money for running the DC by clicking. The proposed 5000 clicks for every 10 minutes would give you around 12,500 $ while clicking and costs you 7,200 $. That still leaves you with at least 5,300 $ profit for that day.

1000 clicks for every 30 minutes: costs 2,400 $ and brings ~2,500 $ --> profit ~100 $
2,500 clicks for every 20 minutes: costs 3,600 $ and brings ~6,250 $ --> profit ~2,650 $
5,000 clicks for every 10 minutes: costs 7,200 $ and brings ~12,500 $ --> profit ~5,300 $

The only difficulty would be to actually get this number of clicks. How much do you click on an average day?
49ER

Post by 49ER »

I could dp the clicks, but that assumes both would be in effect. If they just change it to more x a day without the clicks incentive it would really hurt not so active players.

The clicks incentive sounds good in theory but how would it be implemented? You do 5000 clicks day 1, so the next day, you get your daycare checks every 15 minutes? And then if you don't click that day, you get them rolled back to every hour? I really don't see that being implemented, which means they will either increase daycare checks or they won't. If they do, and they charge 50 dollars per check period, would be pricey. That is the part I object to.
Adoptable