Yarolds Link Exchange Update

Every announcement regarding Virtuadopt main site, or forums will come here.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Yarolds Link Exchange Update

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

For those of you who use Yarolds, you may have noticed Virtuadopt links no longer appear. Before your links were disabled, you may have also noticed you had to do the second click to level the adoptable. This is due to them recently changing to Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure or https for short. This resulted in Virtuadopt being unable to tell if you are accessing the feed page from Yarolds.

So where do we go from here? At this time, VIrtuadopt is no longer supporting Yarolds or any other external link exchanges. I am, however, open to hearing suggestions for another exchange. Should Yarolds links start working again, we will revisit using them again.

Feel free to ask questions or leave comments below.
mauwie
Snarky Shark

Re: Yarolds Link Exchange Update

Post by mauwie »

thank you so much for brining this to attention. it is very frustrating using yarolds with VA without having the quickfeed links activated. i noticed that the adopts i throw in there do no get clicked at all (or hardly at all). whenever i used the site i would always make sure i went through and clicked all VA links first so that the adopts did not get missed. but this is not the case for most members in confirming their clicks.

i know this was probably already thought of, but is there no way to create a quick feed link without using https? one that yarolds might support (sorry if this sounds dumb, i really know nothing with coding, lol).

secondly i've been looking at a few websites, the only one that looks super reliable to me so far is this one:
http://utopia.lv/exchange/?do=links

but i haven't had a chance to test it out (and cannot test it out because VA links don't work there atm). i'm sure there are people here who know of more click exchange sites, and which ones are reliable!

for now, to level my adopts, i only use our click exchange.
Adoptable
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Issue resolved, have to wait on them to enable the links again but it should be back to normal once that happens.
bluebell_rose

Post by bluebell_rose »

the links are still there, they just been marked action. If care is off, then you won't see them and folks with care % below 25% won't be able to see or click them.

I recommend using ctrl click to click va links. Snaplinks seems to be a little broken right now, meaning it doesn't send the referrer header. And don't use chrome to click at all. Even with Jt's work around and changing it to https:// its somehow 2 step. Use firefox. I'll test seamonkey when i wake up.
Join Yarolds to raise your eggs fast! Join The mob and be part of an awesome Team ! We can teach you to click 400 links in 10 mins! Pm me to learn how. Only PM me if you aren't already in a dyn.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
mauwie
Snarky Shark

Post by mauwie »

so will the quick feed links be working again on yarolds? if yes it would be awesome if links in the view/edit of the adoptable page were reinstated.

if no, and it still requires an action, then that is a total bummer.
Adoptable
bluebell_rose

Post by bluebell_rose »

quick feed works but only if you click without snaplinks, if you click using snaplinks it doesn't work, and reverts to two step.
Join Yarolds to raise your eggs fast! Join The mob and be part of an awesome Team ! We can teach you to click 400 links in 10 mins! Pm me to learn how. Only PM me if you aren't already in a dyn.
Allmacht

Post by Allmacht »

90 clicks for 15 displayed links and only my own were successful. It´s a shame.

Update: after 12 hours - 15 displayed links - 622 yarold clicks and only 60 successful. :cry:
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

Update:
Recently I changed all hosted sites including swle to use https. This unfortunately caused issues with va site, as they still use http protocol and referrer info is not passed when moving from secure site to insecure one.

We will work on resolving this issue in following weeks in our free time.
:king: Image :wub:

Collecting:Tropius (Pm me if you have some tropius for trade)
bluebell_rose

Post by bluebell_rose »

Regarding the referrer header issue, I contacted the author of snaplinks. He's going to look into it and see if he can fix things on his end
cpriest wrote:
Interesting, I'd never considered what was being passed on in the referrer header in either v2 nor v3, but I can see how it wouldn't be getting passed along. I'm not sure how or if I could pass it along but I will look into it and see what can be done about it.
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

I just set the va links to auto they work now without a required action !

goodluck

Knuseron

Post by Knuseron »

Thanks for co-op on this ^^

Was the snaplinks issue resolved yet?
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable AdoptableAdoptable
mauwie
Snarky Shark

Post by mauwie »

No, the autofeed still does not work with snaplinks.
Adoptable
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

Thats correct Mauwie snaplinks dont like the https thing
manual clicks work good now

mauwie
Snarky Shark

Post by mauwie »

thanks for the help, ecco ^^ maybe va links will get a little more attention on yarolds, now :]

would maybe contacting the creator of snaplinks help resolve this issue?
Adoptable
49ER

Post by 49ER »

They worked with manual clicking before, but 99 percent of yarolds users use snsplinks or link clumps.
With the way yarolds is now, you would be hard pressed to get a lot of clicks to your VA link, especially without joining a dynasty, and people do not and will not do a follow-up click. Are they supposed to follow through? Yes. But due to a whole lot of issues, they don't.
The only thing I could think that might resolve this, (mind you, I know nothing about coding), to format our quick=feed link to also be https? I don't know if that is possible or workable, but that is only thing I could think of
Adoptable
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Switched Virtuadopt over to using SSL/HTTPS last night. You should see the site listed as secure in your browser automatically. If not, chances are your avatar or something is hiding somewhere that isn't using https.

Anyways, this is still an issue, but not something I can do anything about. It appears to be an issue within Snap Links itself and only their development team can sort it out.

The only thing I can think of is if Yarolds implements some sort of API where sites they support could check if the link was from them and a valid click.
49ER

Post by 49ER »

i just checked it Yankees, and it still is not a quick feed link. The only way they will get clicks is if people load them up and then go in and individually click each one. But most of them do snaplinks and close them all at once, perhaps because their computer cannot handle that many links being opened at once, or they don't follow thru, or they use a close-it script to close the non action links, which VA is one of them.
Adoptable
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

besides yarolds owner doesn't do anything anymore there... as a moderator i cant fix it..sorry

so i guess we should not invest in this issue anymore..