Require an Introduction post before can post on forum

Old suggestions that have not proven popular or are otherwise no longer relevant.
49ER

Require an Introduction post before can post on forum

Post by 49ER »

I have noticed lately a LOT of spam and trolling posts by non players lately that I have had to report.
Some games sites do not allow any posts on forum until they have registered an account and then posted an introduction post which has to be approved by staff before they can post anywhere else on forum--is this something that could be enacted here?
Adoptable
Yasha

Re: Require an Introduction post before can post on forum

Post by Yasha »

Seems like a good idea to me, though I don't know how difficult it would be to code something like this. Although I would propose that the post doesn't need to be staff approved, but maybe automatically accepted when posted in the right section?
Because it would be more work for the staff, and (if I would be a new member wanting to post), I would hate to wait for the approval... I know, there is still an off-chance that the bots who post right now might get around the rule if it is automatically accepted, but most of the time it will prevent them from posting (since I noticed they only post in recently active threads).
Want to trade? See my Trade Station or send me a PM.
MrQuaza

Post by MrQuaza »

Well, I don't know if the staff can make this but it sounds really good to me. I hate seeing posts of bots.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
a-chan
chibi yaoi kitty

Post by a-chan »

Any idea that helps keeping spam bots at bay is really appreciated, so thank you for that. If it is doable or not has to be decided by the admin/web dev though. I really hope we can do something about that soon.

Do you by chance know how new users get notified about that system on the other sites?
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
49ER

Post by 49ER »

No but I know that Dragcave requires it before you can do other postings and some old inactive game sites had it in place. The auto accepting of intro topics would not work because if they are spam bots, those would be accepted too. Perhaps enlisting some volunteers to help monitor intro posts would help so somebody who is an actual new joiner could be accepted, even by posting a welcome message that says they can now post anywhere on forum--otherwise it is a lot of work for staff but I am sure they are already dealing with a lot of reports and post deleting, just based on how often I have had to make reports
Adoptable
Junior Tycon

Post by Junior Tycon »

a-chan wrote:Any idea that helps keeping spam bots at bay is really appreciated, so thank you for that. If it is doable or not has to be decided by the admin/web dev though. I really hope we can do something about that soon.

Do you by chance know how new users get notified about that system on the other sites?
I remember a site that I was a part of had a notification at the top of the forum that had kind of a checklist for users. One was reading the rules, one was FAQ, and the last was a required posting in the New User Forums. Once they got those three requirements done, they could post. If I remember right, the rules and FAQs were completed only by clicking the link (which doesn't necessarily mean they have been read, but bots might not be so intelligent).
ImageImage
~Innoficial helper - Spanish Dept.~
Avatar/Mega Banette/Totodile: allyssonlovesowlcity@deviantart
jirachi100

Post by jirachi100 »

What Junior Tycon said sounds useful for stopping spam bots.
I've also seen sneaky advertising on here and it bothers me a little. I'd find a post that sounds normal because it's talking about the Pokemon games or something but at the bottom of the post or the signature is unrelated advertising! Then if I check the Virtuadopts of the user that posted it, they have none meaning they are not here to play Virtuadopt!

Actually, having it check if they've adopted an egg or a starter could possibly work since I've seen that the bots never have Vituadopts.
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableImageImageImageAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable