Pokémon Sword & Shield

For discussing aspects of Pokemon not related to VA, such as the games, TCG, anime, and manga.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Re: Pokémon Sword & Shield

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

If we do a contest, it won't be in this topic and would be an actual official thing.
Eleve

Post by Eleve »

My guess are 86 new Pokemon ^^.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

I always wish they do more than 100 - I just miss the feeling of exploring a completely new region with all new kinds of Pokémon.
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

UkeSora wrote: June 7th, 2019, 2:04 pm I always wish they do more than 100 - I just miss the feeling of exploring a completely new region with all new kinds of Pokémon.
Exactly! For me running through a new route encountering a brand new pokemon you have never seen before, wondering what types it might have or how it could look like when it evolves is by far the most fun thing to do in the games. But the last couple of games had so few new pokemon that that feeling got lost.
Especially as they are revealing so many pokemon before the games come out. When I played X and Y I already knew more than half of the pokemon, just by watching trailers and stuff. I think there were only like 30 to 40 pokemon left that I didn't know (and a lot of those were evolutions of each other). So I really miss the sensation of discovering something new.
I tried to avoid most informations for Sun and Moon but the alola dex was still rather small.
That's why I hope that we get a lot more new pokemon (like in generations 3 and 5 - although I doubt that that'll be the case), or that they at least don't show too much beforehand.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

Whose ready to only catch some of ‘em?
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

I can't say how much I hate this decision.
They had all the walking cycles available in Sun/Moon. They even used them for the Pokémon in the Wild Area. And now they are saying, for balance reasons, they won't implement all Pokémon.
I'm sorry... what? Game Freak, you had one job. Balance was always off. That's the reason certain Pokémon were banned on tournaments. This is not an excuse for suddenly stopping to support all Pokémon.
On the contrary, it feels like a step in the wrong direction.
We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon, and we just found that Sword and Shield would probably be a good point to go back and reevaluate what would be the best selection of Pokemon that appeal to the widest audience while keeping into consideration the balance of the battle system.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemo ... -interview

https://twitter.com/shofu/status/113888 ... 82592?s=19
Wow... such a high quality attack animation. Now I understand, why they had to cut at least 3 Pokémon just for this one!... not.

One step forward, but five backwards. Some new Pokémon, lots of old ones are missing. Dynamaxing, but no more Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves. It's the same everytime with Game Freak, but this time they went one step too far.

If they don't listen to the fans' backlash on this and rethink this whole thing, then it will be the first time that I skip a new main game.
Tango

Post by Tango »

So far I'm also not really impressed with the teasers for the new gen. The legendaries are super lack luster and do not fit in pokémon. A wolf carrying a sword around..? That's an overdone anime/fanfiction character. The preliminary designs were better if a little too bulky and odd looking, but at least they seemed like pokémon. Also this: Image

None of the new pokémon really seem great, though I do love me the Corviknight. They better have Skarmory to go with it I guess; the new umbreon/espeon pair. Wooloo is nice, but only cause it's a fluffy sphere. I wish they'd just gone and fixed up Mareep to achieve that instead of bringing in a new sheep. Though maybe not, as pikachu was so much more adorable in Gen 1 before they 'fixed' it ;) And the corgi? Come on, that's lazy. The starters didn't really seem inspired either, 'cept maybe the water one.

Dynamaxing is just the new mega/z-move thing. I wish they'd stick to something. Bring out some new Megas! At least when they transformed they tended to look cooler than their base form; even if I never bothered using it in-game. But dynamaxing and raids are obviously just to reel in Pokémon GO fans -- since that's exactly what Raids in the mobile game are: huge and require friends to beat. At least in GO your ability to catch the raid pokémon isn't potentially thwarted by others participating.

About the only thing that seems interesting is some of the characters they're introducing and being able to see the wild encounters roaming around the routes. Hope it gets better! Though KitsuLeif's news doesn't seem promising D: Cutting out pokémon for animations that everyone turns off eventually..? xD Such a bad idea.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

https://www.pokemon.com/us/a-message-fo ... =Statement
Basically this reads:
It is how it is, there are no plans for DLCs/Patches to give you the missing Pokémon, maybe you are lucky with your favorite ones next time.

Small indie company Game Freak can't get their stuff right.

If they at least gave us a list of which Pokémon are missing... but no. This could mean that they fear another backlash, because there are too many missing Pokémon. (Remember, the original Alola Dex had 302, so if the new ones only have around the same number that would mean that over 500 Pokémon have been cut)
It also could be the case that they just don't care about what fans want. Just as they showed with the message to not listen to their complaints in any way.

Also, I'd like to link a post from reddit here that sums up very well what's wrong with Game Freak or Pokémon Games in general:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/commen ... this_is_a/
Glichu

Post by Glichu »

New information alongside with new trailer appeared on serebii.net about gen 8 games Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield. It says:
Spoiler for A LOT OF NEW INFO:
Spoiler for Trailer:
"This trailer showcases some new Pokémon as well as Gigamax variants of the Pokémon including Gigantamax Drednaw and Corviknight
Image Image

New pokemon were revealed:

Duraludon is a Steel & Dragon-type Pokémon with the abilities Light Metal & Heavy Metal

Alcremie is a Fairy-type Pokémon with the ability Sweet Veil. It has a Gigantamax Form
Image Image

Rolycoly is a Rock-type Pokémon with the abilities Steam Engine and heatproof. Steam Engine boosts Speed drastically if the Pokémon is hit by a Fire or Water-type move

Gigantamax is a new feature which boosts power upon Dynamaxing and changes a Pokémon's form. Each Gigantamax has a G-Max Move
Gigantamax Drednaw is 78'

As a special bonus for purchasing the Dual Pack SteelBook® Edition, Trainers will receive two codes (one per game) that will reward them with special items known as Dynamax Crystals. By using the Dynamax Crystals in the Wild Area, Trainers will be able to face Dynamax Larvitar and Dynamax Jangmo-o, Pokémon that are normally encountered later in the game, in special Max Raid Battles. Larvitar won’t appear in Pokémon Sword and Jangmo-o won’t appear in Pokémon Shield during normal gameplay, but players will be able to catch them in either version by using these Dynamax Crystals.

The game has Version exclusive Gym Leaders. In Sword you face the Fighting-type Bea while in Shield you face the Ghost-type Allister.
ImageImage

Deino and Jangmo-o are exclusive to Sword and Larvitar & Goomy are exclusi
ve to Shield"
P.S. New pokemon are awsome especially floating boulder and dragon. Gigamax variants as for me are huge variants of mega forms :(
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptable
General amount of hatched shinies: 122
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

Wow, didn’t expect that info dump, but well. Interesting. I am interested to hear more about exklusive stuff. Exclusive gyms at least makes buying both versions more worthwhile. I wonder whether they will do more?

And god damn, Deino in sword and Larvitar in Shield. Whyyy. Breeding and trading should be available, I don’t want to wait for shitty Raid battles to „complete“ the Dex.

Godzilla Charizard seems to be a rumor I now consider even more true than before considering these Gigantomegaspecialawesomehyper forms.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I'ma little appalled that they just added mega evolutions onto their mega-evolution-replacement aka dynamax. Why? WHY? Doubling up on the mega evolution-like mechanics so no room to include all the pokémon in this gen sorry. This just makes me more sour about gen 8.

Though, still loving me the Corviknight including its mega evolution gigantimax form.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
a-chan
chibi yaoi kitty

Post by a-chan »

Well I have to say... nothing except the scenery at the beginning picks my interest yet :'D the new Pokémon, the new mechanics, everything is just... meh. *shrugs*
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

Tomorrow there will be news to SwoSh and all I can think is "Yay, more to be disappointed about."

Also, this video is worth a watch:
https://youtu.be/H68BcOTahBw
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

The new infos will be a delight to the overall game, but I am afraid the hype will still be snuffed out by Dex and graphical aspects.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

After Alolan Forms we now get... Galarian Forms! Wow. What an innovation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... BiTpi8ecTE

What really bugs me about this:
It basically cuts down the Pokédex even more. Hey, you're lucky, your favorite Pokémon is in the game. But wait! Not in the form you learned to love, but in a misshapen one that no one asked for. And guess what? Because the new form is the Galarian form that means it will be the Galar Dex entry. So most probably you won't be able to get your favorite in a normal form at all. Great!
Autumn Zephyr

Post by Autumn Zephyr »

For what it's worth, the gimmick has always been referred to as "Regional Variants" officially, with "Alolan Forms" being the term used to specifically describe the ones that originate from Alola itself. If the concept had been dropped entirely like Mega Evolution and Z-Moves had, GameFreak would've been doing themselves a major disservice (the Alolan Forms were, for the most part, immensely popular) as well as letting down the fans even more than they already had. I, for one, would've been most displeased.

On the other hand, it has been expanded upon a bit, both in the obvious direction (let non-Kantonian pokemon benefit!) and a highly unexpected one (some Regional Variants can now achieve actual evolutions that their original counterparts cannot? Okay). I'm interested to see how well they make use of these changes with the rest of the Galar 'Dex.

Oh, and Hala's about to get quite the menagerie over here, huh?
Wait, something ain't right here...
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

They included new regional variants + location depending evolutions, new Megas (if you want to call it Gigaultraspecialawesomemax instead, feel free), some kind of Shadow Pokémon (I wonder whether Hangry Mode is connected to more Pokémon - but the color scheme basically screams Shadow), which results in a quite confused mess of regional Dex entries.

I am pleased they introduced Pokejobs and I wonder whether we can earn money or just experience points. At least the benched Pokémon will have something to do.. I can imagine Pokémon Home might be similar to that.

Galatian Koffing I won’t comment, it basically screams Kanto pandering again and I fear it’s not going to stop there. Zigzagoon appears to be the Alolan Rattata of that game.

Not a fan of Team Yell. Hooligans as the Enemy Group? What are they thinking?
Pleased to see more rivals, though. Little punks.
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif »

So, the pokédex has been leaked...
Spoiler:
400 Pokémon. That's all. Bulbasaur and Squirtle plus their evolutions and so many more are missing. Why is Charmander so special that it gets this extra treatment everytime? I can't stand this company anymore...
Yeah, Salandit and Salazzle are in the game, but that doesn't save it anymore for me...
Mina-chan

Post by Mina-chan »

The leaks look REALLY bad... I was excited for the game, but... (See spoiler by KitsuLeif.) You'd think one of the most successful franchises of all time could just hire more people to work on their Pokémon game if they run into time issues!
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

I am still okay with the game, I just want to play to see for myself.