Pokémon Sword & Shield

For discussing aspects of Pokemon not related to VA, such as the games, TCG, anime, and manga.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Re: Pokémon Sword & Shield

Post by yankeesrule3526 » June 6th, 2019, 11:22 pm

If we do a contest, it won't be in this topic and would be an actual official thing.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Eleve

Post by Eleve » June 7th, 2019, 7:00 am

My guess are 86 new Pokemon ^^.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora » June 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I always wish they do more than 100 - I just miss the feeling of exploring a completely new region with all new kinds of Pokémon.
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior » June 7th, 2019, 8:39 pm

UkeSora wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm
I always wish they do more than 100 - I just miss the feeling of exploring a completely new region with all new kinds of Pokémon.
Exactly! For me running through a new route encountering a brand new pokemon you have never seen before, wondering what types it might have or how it could look like when it evolves is by far the most fun thing to do in the games. But the last couple of games had so few new pokemon that that feeling got lost.
Especially as they are revealing so many pokemon before the games come out. When I played X and Y I already knew more than half of the pokemon, just by watching trailers and stuff. I think there were only like 30 to 40 pokemon left that I didn't know (and a lot of those were evolutions of each other). So I really miss the sensation of discovering something new.
I tried to avoid most informations for Sun and Moon but the alola dex was still rather small.
That's why I hope that we get a lot more new pokemon (like in generations 3 and 5 - although I doubt that that'll be the case), or that they at least don't show too much beforehand.
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Post by yankeesrule3526 » June 11th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Whose ready to only catch some of ‘em?
ImageImageImageImageImage
KitsuLeif

Post by KitsuLeif » June 13th, 2019, 11:01 am

I can't say how much I hate this decision.
They had all the walking cycles available in Sun/Moon. They even used them for the Pokémon in the Wild Area. And now they are saying, for balance reasons, they won't implement all Pokémon.
I'm sorry... what? Game Freak, you had one job. Balance was always off. That's the reason certain Pokémon were banned on tournaments. This is not an excuse for suddenly stopping to support all Pokémon.
On the contrary, it feels like a step in the wrong direction.
We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon, and we just found that Sword and Shield would probably be a good point to go back and reevaluate what would be the best selection of Pokemon that appeal to the widest audience while keeping into consideration the balance of the battle system.
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemo ... -interview

https://twitter.com/shofu/status/113888 ... 82592?s=19
Wow... such a high quality attack animation. Now I understand, why they had to cut at least 3 Pokémon just for this one!... not.

One step forward, but five backwards. Some new Pokémon, lots of old ones are missing. Dynamaxing, but no more Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves. It's the same everytime with Game Freak, but this time they went one step too far.

If they don't listen to the fans' backlash on this and rethink this whole thing, then it will be the first time that I skip a new main game.
Tango

Post by Tango » June 14th, 2019, 12:23 am

So far I'm also not really impressed with the teasers for the new gen. The legendaries are super lack luster and do not fit in pokémon. A wolf carrying a sword around..? That's an overdone anime/fanfiction character. The preliminary designs were better if a little too bulky and odd looking, but at least they seemed like pokémon. Also this: Image

None of the new pokémon really seem great, though I do love me the Corviknight. They better have Skarmory to go with it I guess; the new umbreon/espeon pair. Wooloo is nice, but only cause it's a fluffy sphere. I wish they'd just gone and fixed up Mareep to achieve that instead of bringing in a new sheep. Though maybe not, as pikachu was so much more adorable in Gen 1 before they 'fixed' it ;) And the corgi? Come on, that's lazy. The starters didn't really seem inspired either, 'cept maybe the water one.

Dynamaxing is just the new mega/z-move thing. I wish they'd stick to something. Bring out some new Megas! At least when they transformed they tended to look cooler than their base form; even if I never bothered using it in-game. But dynamaxing and raids are obviously just to reel in Pokémon GO fans -- since that's exactly what Raids in the mobile game are: huge and require friends to beat. At least in GO your ability to catch the raid pokémon isn't potentially thwarted by others participating.

About the only thing that seems interesting is some of the characters they're introducing and being able to see the wild encounters roaming around the routes. Hope it gets better! Though KitsuLeif's news doesn't seem promising D: Cutting out pokémon for animations that everyone turns off eventually..? xD Such a bad idea.
Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Image Image Image Image Image
═══════»«═══════
Pokémon RP