A Special Kind of Contest - Winners!

Only Official Contests, managed by Virtuadopt staff belong here.
Ellie
HBIC

A Special Kind of Contest - Winners!

Post by Ellie »

As many of you are probably already aware, we have chosen winners for "A Special Kind of Contest"!

The winner for category 1 is mauwie, for her Candy Cane Vulpix!

There were many factors that went into this decision. First and foremost, I wanted something that would blend in with the rest of the Virtuadopts in terms of style. Many of the entries were objectively very nice drawings, but they didn't look very much like the rest of our adoptables, and I had said from the beginning that drawing in "VA Style" was a requirement. In addition, I wanted one that looked like a completely finished product. Several of the entries may have made the cut if a bit more effort was put into resizing and such, but they didn't look completely ready to be released as-is. Some of the entries for this category, in my opinion, may have done better if they were entered in category 2 instead. Finally, I wanted something creative and different. There were a few entries that fit the style and looked like a nice finished product, but lacked a bit in the creativity department.

Regardless, remember that just because you did not win does not mean your entry was not good! It was a very hard decision for me and the staff who gave input, and there were several other entries that came very close to winning.

The winner for category 2 has already been chosen as well, but the official announcement for that won't come until the adoptable is finished and is being released to the public. And the winner is sworn to secrecy and will be banned if he/she tells, so don't go around asking people to see who it is :P

My criteria for category were mostly creativity and ability to describe the Virtuadopt. A lot of the entries may have been a bit better if they went beyond "_____ with snow boots and a santa hat" or something similar and added more detail to what the entrant wanted. We wanted to create a Virtuadopt that was completely unlike any that we already had, and things like sketches and an in-depth description really helped in this category. This one may have been even harder to judge than category 1, as many of these entries could have been wonderful adoptables if brought to life, but as I said, I judged on the criteria mentioned, and although this category was also very close in terms of picking the winner, I think our decision is a good one :)

As a final note, please remember to be respectful. Even if your favorite entry didn't win, that doesn't mean that entry wasn't good, and rude comments don't help anyone. Thanks :)
Spoiler:
Please click box 1 & sig!
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Trading Box 13 for Clefairy/Easter Exeggcute/Xmas Sudowoodo
Trade
Yarold's
R-e-q-u-i-e-m

Re: A Special Kind of Contest - Winners!

Post by R-e-q-u-i-e-m »

Ellie, I only can say again that I think the vulpix looks to much like the original artwork.
Image look at the tail
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
mauwie
Snarky Shark

Post by mauwie »

Thank you again for this contest, it was really fun and I did try my hardest to put my best foot forward. Thank you for those of you who offered me such kind words of Congratz [: There were many great entries and I look forward to seeing who the next winner is!
Adoptable
Sokks

Post by Sokks »

Unfortunately I agree with TOUYApocky, I only can see some differences with the colours and thatVulpix is sitting :/ The rest looks to similar in my opinion
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

I know what it looks like, I'm the one who picked it. You can disagree with my choice for the winner all you want, but I already said not to post any rude comments.
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
Hollow Skies

Post by Hollow Skies »

SokkaChan, TOUYApocky, if you pay attention to the details (curves, size in each tail) you can tell that Mauwie did in fact draw the tail.

Great Job Mauwie it looks great!
Miggyway
Mrs. Charming

Post by Miggyway »

again congratz to mauwie! It's a cool promo allthough there really are similarities to the original. I like it a lot and hope to get it soon x3

But I don't see where the other good artworks are uncreative or not completely ready :/
Hayami even wrote a song on the pergament and it's creative, too. This would have been a promo, va never had before.
Same to Liffys artwork. There are so many details in it, that it can't be told unfinished in my opinion.
And both of them fits to the other adopts we have here._.

The Vulpix instad is based of the ice vulnona some years ago und has "just" colored some parts red. I think it's realy cute, too and it's cool to have it as a promo, but if you say the others are uncreative I must say the vulpix is more unkreative ._.
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

like i said, just because something didn't win doesn't mean it wasn't good. please stop making rude comments calling the winner uncreative. any more rude comments after this post will be deleted and the poster will be warned. thanks.
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
Nery
Coffee Freak

Post by Nery »

vulpix is one of my favourite pokemon and I always hoped for a promo vulpix someday, therefore I really like it :)

big congratz to mauwie and thanks for the cute vulpix ^^
Virtuadopt Click-Box
Collecting: Seel, Dewgong, Houndour, Houndoom, Abandoned Mimikyu and Anpu Houndoom
(Future Gens: Gothorita, Deerling, Klink, Cofagrigus, Archen, Mimikyu)
Ashy
Lost in a Daydream

Post by Ashy »

Since when is critique a rude comment? :|

Ellie, back then you wrote:
There will likely be only one winner from each category (chosen by me with the rest of the staff giving their opinion as well), but I reserve the right to choose more if I like more or choose none if I do not like them.
If there were some other entries close to winning, why isn't possible to take more than one winner?
I collect: Steenee, Lurantis, Passimian, Dragonair, Mareep, Gardevoir,
Altaria, Pachirisu, Petilil, Zorua, Gothielle, Joltik, Rufflet, Floette, Amaura, Cursed Gardevoir

Ashy's Tradestation
SaikaSayuri
~ petit phoque solitaire ~

Post by SaikaSayuri »

Big congratz, mauwie, your Vulpix looks really nice =) I like it :)
Friendcode X: 1263-6717-8653 (Safari Type Psychic)| PM when you add me :)
You can use Yarold's for leveling faster (it's free)
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

critiquing and rude comments are different. several in this topic and others i have seen around have crossed the line to being rude and disrespectful. and i said from the beginning there would very likely be only 1 winner and i wanted to stick to that as much as possible.
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
Miggyway
Mrs. Charming

Post by Miggyway »

Ellie wrote:like i said, just because something didn't win doesn't mean it wasn't good. please stop making rude comments calling the winner uncreative. any more rude comments after this post will be deleted and the poster will be warned. thanks.
Did you mean me?
I don't think calling something uncreative is a rude comment. If so, you did it too, when you said the other arts are uncreative and unfinished.. :/
Last edited by Miggyway on December 23rd, 2012, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashy
Lost in a Daydream

Post by Ashy »

I think no one would have a problem with two winners... but well, decision has been made.
I collect: Steenee, Lurantis, Passimian, Dragonair, Mareep, Gardevoir,
Altaria, Pachirisu, Petilil, Zorua, Gothielle, Joltik, Rufflet, Floette, Amaura, Cursed Gardevoir

Ashy's Tradestation
Cyrrior
Black Ditto

Post by Cyrrior »

AshtrayHeart, Yeah, like I said in the advent calendar topic, I was hoping there would be more than one winner too. Especially with so many good entries you'd love to have as a promo XD

Oh and another thing I would have find nice is if the winner got his own virtuadopt as a shiny. I know that the possibilty of having your own creation as an adoptable already is a great prize but I still think it would have been nice to give the winner something else that only he/she has, to make it even more special.
Nerymon wrote:vulpix is one of my favourite pokemon and I always hoped for a promo vulpix someday, therefore I really like it :)
What about Halloween Vuldoom? :O
Nery
Coffee Freak

Post by Nery »

Cyrrior wrote:
Nerymon wrote:vulpix is one of my favourite pokemon and I always hoped for a promo vulpix someday, therefore I really like it :)
What about Halloween Vuldoom? :O
oh, true... I totally forgot the halloween vuldoom :P
but I'm still happy about the new christmas vulpix
Virtuadopt Click-Box
Collecting: Seel, Dewgong, Houndour, Houndoom, Abandoned Mimikyu and Anpu Houndoom
(Future Gens: Gothorita, Deerling, Klink, Cofagrigus, Archen, Mimikyu)
Ellie
HBIC

Post by Ellie »

Miggyway wrote:
Ellie wrote:like i said, just because something didn't win doesn't mean it wasn't good. please stop making rude comments calling the winner uncreative. any more rude comments after this post will be deleted and the poster will be warned. thanks.
Did you mean me?
I don't think calling something uncreative is a rude comment. If so, you did it too, when you said the other arts are uncreative and unfinished.. :/
i didn't say they were all not creative and not finished. i said that some of the entries were less creative and looked less polished than the winner. because if i dont explain why i picked what i did i will end up with even more people jumping down my throat.

as for a shiny, we would have released a normal and shiny version if the winner we picked had created a normal and shiny to begin with, and the winner would have gotten both. but since mauwie only made a normal version, there's no shiny to release :p
Spoiler:
Trade
Yarold's
Miggyway
Mrs. Charming

Post by Miggyway »

Ellie, Okay, but this implys to me that in you opinion the Vulpix was the most creative. This is totally okay, it can't be that everyone has the same opinion. But because auf this you can't blame others who think in another way than you do.
I only said my opinion, it's not yours but it isn't harsh anyway.
UkeSora
The Sidekick

Post by UkeSora »

All entries in this contest has been amazing.
All ideas and all posted entries.

Maybe now some more people actually realize how hard it actually can be to create a Promo that looks good, special and will please all users or at least the majority!

As you can see, we had lots of awesome entries, along with different Pokémon I'd have never looked this way, and I think it's really a shame we couldn't pick the majority as winners!

In the end it might has been a very subjective way of voting, but who is there to blame?
imo I would have picked several other entries, because their ideas were so adorable and precious (like the Mr Mime. Look at that happy derpy Mr Mime!),
but like I said, Mr Mime might not have been a favourite of everyone.

We still have the second category winner later, maybe this one will please you more that Vulpix?

Please be aware of the fact that this is the first time we did this kind of contest,
so it's okay if it's not perfect.
Leafeon

Post by Leafeon »

Can I post my entry in DeviantArt now? :3"
As I could remember until now it wasn´t allowed. :3"
Please pm me if you would like to trade a pokemon from my trade boxes :3
My DeviantArt~ <3