Server Move 2019

Every announcement regarding Virtuadopt main site, or forums will come here.
49ER

Re: Server Move 2019

Post by 49ER »

Recalculating because the numbers got changed to 45 now!

Odds of matching 5: Prize is 1 million dollars and shiny volanian 1 in 1,221,759
Odds of matching 4: Prize is 1 thousand dollars and normal volcanian 1 in 6109
Odds of matching 3: Prize is 50 dollars plus a chance at a volcanian 1 in 157 (since the chance of winning is 25 percent, you should multiply that by 4
Adoptable
_Lynx_

Post by _Lynx_ »

yankeesrule3526 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 11:03 pm
_Lynx_ wrote: January 26th, 2019, 1:30 pm I wonder why you don't clip the images from the pokedex. It would be much faster, because it needs just one tcp connection for all images. I don't know why the server is slow anyway. There shouldn't be that much workload on the cpu, is there maybe old code which is slowing it down? Is there a way I can see if I can help?
They get cached once loaded the first time, so it isn't terrible. But yeah, the site was started 10 years ago and the code is showing its age.
I see your server hoster ist hetzner, guessing it's standard webhosting and probably not level 19 so you don't have access to the linux system via console? Is there a way to see the workload and current Upstream in the console? Are you using multi threading php or stacking, I'm using apache I don't know much about nginx. Have you a current value of running time of the click exchange script?
PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Post by PokeTrade »

Wouldn't the click exchange be even more faster if it worked with an ajax call instead of full page refresh?
My collections:
ImageImageImage
_Lynx_

Post by _Lynx_ »

PokeTrade wrote: January 27th, 2019, 10:52 am Wouldn't the click exchange be even more faster if it worked with an ajax call instead of full page refresh?
I already thought about suggesting it, but the work to rewrite it would be too big, you cannot reuse almost anything you already did.
But I thought about a shorter way already virtuadopt already uses, the "content" container (which is showing the clicked virtuadopt and the new link) could be loaded with a xml request via javascript, so at least the the whole things around that might slow the page wouldn't slow the clicking.
PokeTrade
Crazy collecting Chansey

Post by PokeTrade »

_Lynx_ wrote: January 27th, 2019, 11:31 am
PokeTrade wrote: January 27th, 2019, 10:52 am Wouldn't the click exchange be even more faster if it worked with an ajax call instead of full page refresh?
I already thought about suggesting it, but the work to rewrite it would be too big, you cannot reuse almost anything you already did.
But I thought about a shorter way already virtuadopt already uses, the "content" container (which is showing the clicked virtuadopt and the new link) could be loaded with a xml request via javascript, so at least the the whole things around that might slow the page wouldn't slow the clicking.
Good idea!
My collections:
ImageImageImage
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Post by yankeesrule3526 »

_Lynx_ wrote: January 27th, 2019, 9:29 am I see your server hoster ist hetzner, guessing it's standard webhosting and probably not level 19 so you don't have access to the linux system via console? Is there a way to see the workload and current Upstream in the console? Are you using multi threading php or stacking, I'm using apache I don't know much about nginx. Have you a current value of running time of the click exchange script?
Standard webhosting is for babies :P I am quite certain the slowdowns are caused by MySQL Apache is spitting out files at an acceptable rate. Nginx is okay, but I don't think it makes a noticeable difference as long as neither are passing non-PHP files to PHP for processing. PHP-FPM is what we are using on the backend, but I think it interacting with MySQL due to poor database design in the beginning years of VA is the holdup.

Yesterday's speed up of the CE was due to me purging 33,364,113 clicks over the last 3 years. I set up a script to automatically archive clicks older than a day to keep the dataset low when determining when you have to answer a question again or how many you have recently answered incorrectly. The thought did occur to me to put in time logging to see where the slowdowns are with it, but that table was screaming at me to be emptied first.
_Lynx_

Post by _Lynx_ »

yankeesrule3526 wrote: January 27th, 2019, 4:03 pm
_Lynx_ wrote: January 27th, 2019, 9:29 am I see your server hoster ist hetzner, guessing it's standard webhosting and probably not level 19 so you don't have access to the linux system via console? Is there a way to see the workload and current Upstream in the console? Are you using multi threading php or stacking, I'm using apache I don't know much about nginx. Have you a current value of running time of the click exchange script?
Standard webhosting is for babies :P I am quite certain the slowdowns are caused by MySQL Apache is spitting out files at an acceptable rate. Nginx is okay, but I don't think it makes a noticeable difference as long as neither are passing non-PHP files to PHP for processing. PHP-FPM is what we are using on the backend, but I think it interacting with MySQL due to poor database design in the beginning years of VA is the holdup.

Yesterday's speed up of the CE was due to me purging 33,364,113 clicks over the last 3 years. I set up a script to automatically archive clicks older than a day to keep the dataset low when determining when you have to answer a question again or how many you have recently answered incorrectly. The thought did occur to me to put in time logging to see where the slowdowns are with it, but that table was screaming at me to be emptied first.
It was the first I saw and my first guess why it is so slow. It's rare mysql is slowing down in most cases it's php, but when I read you dumped the database that much it sounds plausible... Are you still with PHP5 or PHP7? Maybe it's time to move some database tables if it's a bit "old school"ed ;-D
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

We are still running PHP5, except for a few cron jobs that can run with PHP7. Anything I have been doing lately has been written to work on PHP7, but it's a huge undertaking getting everything converted.
_Lynx_

Post by _Lynx_ »

PHP7 is much faster, maybe that would be a good thing first. You don't have much to change, there are just a few obsoluente methods you can easily replace such as mysql -> mysqli (with link for sure) don't know how central you made the database functions (I have also problems on old codes from me where I could slap my face how bad it was made for maintenance) but there a ways to fix it faster. it's faster than php5 anyways.
Glichu

Post by Glichu »

I just noticed at laboratory new "Add memory" tab. Does that mean that we'll be able to apply it to Silvally soon?
AdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptableAdoptable
AdoptableAdoptable
General amount of hatched shinies: 122
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

_Lynx_ wrote: January 27th, 2019, 5:51 pm PHP7 is much faster, maybe that would be a good thing first. You don't have much to change, there are just a few obsoluente methods you can easily replace such as mysql -> mysqli (with link for sure) don't know how central you made the database functions (I have also problems on old codes from me where I could slap my face how bad it was made for maintenance) but there a ways to fix it faster. it's faster than php5 anyways.
I just enabled a bunch of pages to actually start using it, so we will see. Nothing is centralized, so its a huge task.
_Lynx_

Post by _Lynx_ »

If you need help you know how to contact me :-D
_Lynx_

Post by _Lynx_ »

yankeesrule3526 wrote: January 27th, 2019, 10:07 pm
_Lynx_ wrote: January 27th, 2019, 5:51 pm PHP7 is much faster, maybe that would be a good thing first. You don't have much to change, there are just a few obsoluente methods you can easily replace such as mysql -> mysqli (with link for sure) don't know how central you made the database functions (I have also problems on old codes from me where I could slap my face how bad it was made for maintenance) but there a ways to fix it faster. it's faster than php5 anyways.
I just enabled a bunch of pages to actually start using it, so we will see. Nothing is centralized, so its a huge task.
One suggestion left to me:
Can you limit the own tickets container on the lottery to about 50? Simple to do and I guess above no one will care what exact tickets they have, maybe a simple see all with a reload of all tickets or get-parameter. A simple count command for MySQL for the full amount. The loading and scrolling of the page is awful when you have a serious amount of tickets you need for that low chance.
Pokemon Knight

Post by Pokemon Knight »

Had a lot of matches even a 3 match but didn’t get anything
If you want something like this VV just PM me ;)
Tango

Post by Tango »

Haha ^^; Yeah lotto seems super broke. I have a ton of matches and didn't even win any money.

Got 19 singles, 3 pairs, and 1 three match.
Tango's Trade Station
═══════»«═══════
Adoptable Adoptable Adoptable
═══════»«═══════
Nery
Coffee Freak

Post by Nery »

same here... D:
Virtuadopt Click-Box
Collecting: Seel, Dewgong, Houndour, Houndoom, Abandoned Mimikyu and Anpu Houndoom
(Future Gens: Gothorita, Deerling, Klink, Cofagrigus, Archen, Mimikyu)
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

No cash and prizes payout from lottery ..
yankeesrule3526
Chief of Operations

Are you sure there was no cash? I’m just not sure if it didn’t work at all or the counter at the bottom didn’t update.
Ecco
** TROPIUS **

Post by Ecco »

Money Won From These Tickets: $ 0
:king: Image :wub:

Collecting:Tropius (Pm me if you have some tropius for trade)
Nery
Coffee Freak

Post by Nery »

I got no cash, also no items or volcanions.
I didn't checked all my tickets 'cause I bought so many.. but I already saw a lot 1, 2 and 3 matches. But no prices.
Virtuadopt Click-Box
Collecting: Seel, Dewgong, Houndour, Houndoom, Abandoned Mimikyu and Anpu Houndoom
(Future Gens: Gothorita, Deerling, Klink, Cofagrigus, Archen, Mimikyu)